Sunday, March 07, 2010

Oscar Picks

I've been a crazy-obsessed Oscar watcher for years and years now. My mom and I used to get all dressed up, make a bunch of hors d'oerves and plop down in front of the TV to watch the Barbara Walter's Special, followed by the red carpet, followed by the main event. Usually, by the time Best Supporting Actress was presented (the first award of the night), we were ready to put on our jammies and hunker down on the couch for the night.


We stopped our tradition a few years back when the Oscars started going later and later, and we started getting older and older and had problems staying awake.


Tonight, my husband and I are going to watch the awards together. I doubt we'll get dressed up. But we will have our ballots filled out.


Here is who I think will win in the major categories:

Best Picture - Avatar

Best Actor - Jeff Bridges

Best Actress - Sandra Bullock

Best Supporting Actor - Christopher Waltz

Best Supporting Actress - Mo'Nique

Best Director - James Cameron

Best Original Screenplay - The Hurt Locker

Best Adapted Screenplay - Precious


Here is who I think should win:

Best Picture - Inglourious Basterds

Best Actor - George Clooney (however, I've only seen his and Jeremy Renner's performances.)

Best Actress - Gabourey Sidibe (I have not seen Helen Mirren's preformance)

Best Supporting Actor - Christopher Waltz (his is the only performance I've seen)

Best Supporting Actress - Mo'Nique (I have not seen Penelope Cruz' or Maggie Gyllenhaal's performances)

Best Director - Quentin Tarantino - Inglourious Basterds

Best Original Screenplay - Quentin Tarantino - Inglourious Basterds (I have not seen The Messenger)

Best Adapted Screenplay - Nick Hornby - An Education (I have not seen In the Loop.)



I won't bore you with my picks for the remaining categories. But I usually do very well and get accused of cheating, even though there is no way to cheat. Unless you work for Ernst & Young. Which I don't.


And for the record to all my critics (you know who you are!) I have not even picked up an Entertainment Weekly magazine in well over a year.

No comments: